We think differently around here. And just as importantly, we act differently, too. It's in our DNA, not just at the University of Washington but throughout the Northwest, to reach a little higher. Dig deeper. To keep searching for better ways to learn, live and work.
And for better answers to the world's most pressing challenges. The spirit of discovery that embraces us from every mountaintop, treetop and desktop inspires us to achieve great things. The place we call home inspires us to discover what's next.
UW at a Glance
- The UW is a multi-campus university in Seattle , Tacoma and Bothell , as well as a world-class academic medical center.
- We have 16 colleges and schools and offer 1,800 undergraduate courses each quarter.
- We confer more than 12,000 bachelor's, master's, doctoral and professional degrees annually.
Our amazing students include:
- 136 Fulbright Scholars
- 35 Rhodes Scholars
- 7 Marshall Scholars
- 4 Gates Cambridge Scholars
— and counting.
Fostering Citizenship: Here and Abroad
- The UW ranks among the top schools in the country in providing U.S. Peace Corps volunteers.
- More than 2,000 undergraduate students participate in study abroad programs each year.
Celebrating 150 Years
Founded in 1861 by a private gift of 10 acres in what is now the heart of downtown Seattle, the UW is one of the oldest public universities on the West Coast.
We're deeply committed to upholding the responsibility that comes with that legacy. And being public has always meant being accessible.
Anyone can enjoy and be enriched by all the UW has to offer, including world-class libraries, art, music, drama, sports and the highest quality medical care in Washington state.
Being public also means being engaged with our communities, and through knowledge and discovery we are elevating the quality of lives of others.
A Wishlist for the Planet. And a Plan.
Expanding World Views : UW students gain an understanding of community needs as well as issues around the globe — becoming respectful and educated citizens of the world.
Environmental Leadership : As one of the greenest regions in the country, the University of Washington also leads in environmental solutions. See how the UW is making way for a greener future.
Advancing Our World : By educating the next generation of thinkers and doers and leveraging faculty and researcher expertise, the University of Washington drives new ideas and innovations that make the world a better place.
Creating Healthier Lives : The University of Washington is committed to new discoveries in human health and improving the lives and well-being of people here and around the world.
Founded in 1861 in one building downtown, our campus today is like a small city. Old brick and new “green” buildings are set among graceful paths and carefully landscaped grounds on one of the most beautiful campuses in the U.S. Water and mountains views greet you at every turn.
Apply to Seattle
University of Washington Directories
Faculty, Staff, and Student Directories
- UW Faculty/Staff/Student Directory - Search for faculty, staff, and students at the UW.
- UW Degree Validation - A service for employers to verify UW degree recipients from 1983 to the present.
The University of Washington Information and Visitors Center is on the ground floor of the Odegaard Undergraduate Library ( see map ), located in the southwest corner near the statue of George Washington.
Where to Stay and What to Eat
• View a selection of current and upcoming events at www.washington.edu/artsuw
The University of Washington's main campus is located in Seattle. Branch campuses are located in Bothell and Tacoma.
Postal Addresses and Box Numbers at the UW
More Telephone Directories